Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Sweet Potato and Spinach Pancakes...Yummy!

This is a really easy recipe that I have been using for my son now that he refuses to be fed by a spoon.  This delicious recipe is great for your little finger foodie or toddler.  I make the pancakes in large batches and pop them in the freezer.  Take them out whenever…breakfast, lunch, dinner, or snack.  Your little one will love them, if you don’t eat them all yourself!  I tried making a couple of sweet potato pancake recipes that I found online, but for some reason they all turned out really doughy in the middle, no matter how long I left them on the skillet.  After some trial and error I turned to my old friend Trader Joe.  The Trader Joe’s Multigrain Pancake Mix is so tasty, but if you don’t have a Trader Joe’s near you, any multigrain pancake mix will do.  Here is what you will need:

  • 2.5 cups of Multigrain Pancake Mix
  • 1.5 cups of Skim Milk
  • 2 eggs
  • 3 Tbsp of Vegetable Oil
  • 2 cups cubed sweet potato
  • 1 cup baby leaf spinach
  • *Optional: ¼ tsp cinnamon

Steam sweet potato and spinach until soft and tender.  I use an electric steamer and it takes approximately 15 minutes.  Puree steamed mixture until smooth or leave a little chunky if you wish.  Mix puree with all other ingredients.  Pour batter out onto greased skillet on medium heat.  Pancake will be ready to flip when it is bubbling throughout (approximately 2 minutes per side).  Makes about 16-20 pancakes.  Enjoy!


1 comment:

Dara Lane MacKay said...

This looks fantastic! I can't wait to try it.