Monday, July 19, 2010

Baby Phat

When I was pregnant my Obgyn put me on a prenatal vitamin and DHA supplement.  It seemed like I had never heard about DHA before that moment, but after that, I noticed DHA started popping up everywhere.  DHA stands for Docosahexaenoic acid (say that 5 times fast)...it is an omega 3 fatty acid, a "good fat" that is essential for fetal brain and eye development during pregnancy.  DHA is beneficial for adults too, by helping to lower blood pressure and protect against heart disease and cancer.  In order to get more omega 3 fatty acids in my diet during pregnancy I tried to eat foods rich in Omega-3's like salmon, avocados, almonds, walnuts, seeds, and eggs.  I thought that this "Fabulous Fats" video was REALLY informative you can watch it at the website below.

http://www.encognitive.com/node/1232

After Dylan was born I have continued taking my prenatal vitamin with DHA supplement to increase the amount of DHA he gets in breast milk.  Formulas and cereals are now fortified with DHA, and there has been some recent controversy over the side effects.  Feel free to read the report below.  (Please note that I am not a medical doctor and I do not support or reject the claims made in this report.)

http://www.cornucopia.org/DHA/DHA_Executive_Summary_web.pdf 


I know added fat in the diet has such a stigma, but it is important to remember that there are good fats out there (especially Omega-3's) that our bodies and our baby's bodies need to development and stay healthy.


Baby Friendly List of Food High in Omega 3 Fatty Acids:
Soybeans
Kidney Beans
Navy Beans
Tofu
Salmon (after 8 months)
Winter Squash
Avocados
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: