Sunday, July 11, 2010

Hot 'n Steamy

About a month ago I stumbled upon the best time and energy saving invention ever...pre-cut, pre-washed, pre-packaged in steaming bag...veggies.  I have been able to find them at Trader Joe's and Fresh & Easy, and would assume that they sell them at regular grocery stores, but I can't tell you for sure.  Now, I have to tell you that I was reluctant to use steamer bags to make my baby food, but I did a little online research and found the following link talking about the safety of cooking in steamer bags made by Glad.  I would assume that the steamer bags used for packaging by the grocery stores would use the same guidelines, but again I am not sure.  See link below:   

http://www.docstoc.com/docs/2240965/Steamer-Bag-FAQ%EF%BF%BDs

We have all heard the horror stories about microwaving in plastic and using plastic containers for food storage, but according to Glad's Website, they do not use Polyvinyl chloride (PVC) or Bispheonal A (BPA) in the production of their food storage items.  But even if you decide not to use the microsteamer bags, the pre-cut butternut squash and the pre-cut sweet potatoes are real time savers!  If you have ever tried to peel and cut a butternut squash, you know exactly what I mean.  I takes about 10 minutes to peel through the tough  outer skin, and if you have all of your fingers after you finish cutting it in half, it takes another 5 minutes to clean and cube it.  I have found the sweet potatoes pre-cut in "sticks."  I puree half the bag for the baby and turn the other half into sweet potato fries. 

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: