Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Cyber Mommies

Within 3 days of going home from the hospital with Dylan I went to my first breastfeeding support group.  I remember going there and seeing all of the moms who had been participating for weeks and thinking "Wow...they look so confident...and really know what they are doing."  Well, 3 or 4 weeks passed and those moms graduated and we became the ones giving the advice to the newbies.  Its amazing how a little support in the beginning can make such a world of difference.  Knowing that you are not the only one with raging hormones or baby who is inconsolable...helps to get you through those difficult moments.  In the beginning, leaving the house required packing the ginormous diaper bag, the breastfeeding pillow, the breast pump, the stroller and carrier...it amazes me that we ever left the house at all!  I remember one time we had gotten up early to be at the library for "baby time" and it literally took us 45 minutes to get out of the house.  When we got there the lady told me that we were 5 minutes late, so we would have to come back next week...after pleading with her to let us stay the group lasted all of 15 minutes.  I remember thinking that it wasn't even worth the effort.  It is certainly a lot easier to get out now, but leaving the house with a 10 month old poses its own challenges.

After seeing the benefits of connecting with other moms and hearing stories from moms who have been there before me, I wanted to start a support group of my own.  However, I didn't want to limit it to the moms in my neighborhood and I wanted to host the group at a time and place where they could devote their full attention to the topics.  I realized that the internet would be a perfect tool to connect moms and moms-to-be in the comfort of their own homes!  My goal is to provide a safe and respectful place for sharing ideas and stories related to parenthood...including but not limited to breastfeeding and baby food.  It will be a fun way to connect with friends and make some new ones!  If you would like to participate follow the instructions below. 

We will be having our first ever web chat mommy support group tomorrow night at 8 pm EST.  That's 5 pm for all of you on the West coast.  To log into the web chat go to www.tinychat.com/mushmomma

You will need to register and connect with your facebook or twitter account.   

The password for the room is mush  

Contact me if have any trouble setting this up.  You will need a camera and microphone to be able to participate.  This is just a trial run, but if there is a good attendance we will make it a weekly meet-up! Tomorrow we will be working out all of the "bugs" with the software...and discussing "Adjusting to Parenthood".   It will last about an hour...hope you can make it!

No comments: